Artistic Director: Kelly Thornton
Managing Director: Denyse Karn
Our Mandate and Mission
Nightwood Theatre forges creative alliances among women artists from diverse backgrounds in order to develop and produce innovative Canadian Theatre. We produce original Canadian plays and works from the contemporary international repertoire. We advocate for women, provide a training ground for emerging talent and engage artists in play development and theatre production. We make theatre that is relevant, that awakens a new perspective, and promotes empathy and a deeper connection to our humanity.
Nightwood’s overriding vision is to be the gateway, propelling women to the top of their craft in Canadian Theatre.
- Nightwood Theatre promotes artistic innovation and diversity of expression.
- We operate with a firm belief in women’s equality and use theatre to challenge stereotypes and social assumptions about gender, race and sexuality.
- We believe theatre is a communal experience wherein differences can be shared and celebrated.
- We are driven by creative exchange not exclusivity.
- We see mentorship as essential, sharing knowledge with emerging talent, and seeding a new generation of female artists in Canada.
- We think theatre should be entertaining but also believe in its ability to challenge society.
- At the very core we believe theatre is a tool of empowerment, both for the individual and for the collective as a whole.
Produced by Nightwood Theatre
|Now You See Her||October 16th, 2018 – October 4th, 2018|
|Calpurnia||January 14th, 2018 – February 4th, 2018|
|Unholy||November 23rd, 2017 – December 10th, 2017|
|LO (or Dear Mr. Wells)||October 25th, 2017 – November 11th, 2017|
|Unholy||January 15th, 2017 – February 5th, 2017|
|Quiver||October 20th, 2016 – November 6th, 2016|
|Refuge||April 19th, 2016 – May 8th, 2016|
|The Public Servant||March 13th, 2016 – April 3rd, 2016|
|Obeah Opera||August 4th, 2015 – August 8th, 2015|
|Her2||January 13th, 2015 – February 1st, 2015|
|The Carousel||March 11th, 2014 – March 30th, 2014|
|Free Outgoing||January 28th, 2014 – February 16th, 2014|
|The Penelopiad||January 8th, 2013 – February 10th, 2013|
|Between the Sheets||September 18th, 2012 – October 7th, 2012|
|Stockholm||May 11th, 2012 – June 3rd, 2012|
|The Happy Woman||March 5th, 2012 – March 24th, 2012|
|The Penelopiad||January 10th, 2012 – January 29th, 2012|
|The List||October 11th, 2010 – November 6th, 2010|
|Yellow-Man||November 2nd, 2009 – November 14th, 2009|
|That Face||October 26th, 2009 – November 21st, 2009|
|Wild Dogs||October 4th, 2008 – November 8th, 2008|
|A Nanking Winter||February 23rd, 2008 – March 16th, 2008|
|Age of Arousal||November 17th, 2007 – December 17th, 2007|
|The Danish Play||February 22nd, 2007 – March 17th, 2007|
Developed by Nightwood Theatre
|Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet)||February 28th, 2014 – March 8th, 2014|
Presented by Nightwood Theatre
|Asking For It||October 6th, 2017 – October 21st, 2017|
|Century Song||April 18th, 2017 – April 29th, 2017|
|Mouthpiece||October 20th, 2016 – November 6th, 2016|
|Nirbhaya||November 18th, 2015 – November 29th, 2015|
|Ruined||January 16th, 2011 – February 12th, 2011|
|Serious Money||November 20th, 2009 – November 22nd, 2009|
|No Exit||November 11th, 2009 – November 21st, 2009|
|Kelly Thornton||Artistic Director|
|Denyse Karn||Managing Director|